Sunday, March 1, 2009

Trip down "Home"

I cannot believe it is March already! Where do the days go?
I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco for a dental conference. And through my travels I had a little free time and it just brought to thinking of my childhood and where we are today. So I got home and just wanted to post a few thoughts on life. Enjoy this small journey "home."
My sister posted these pictures to her facebook page and I just had to add them here because they are so fun!
This is me with Teresa and Robert in 1981 riding the carnival ferris wheel in Springville, Utah. Springville is known for their Art City Days.

WOW Fast forward 25 years later!!! Even Rob, who was always 'too little' is WAYYYYY 'too little' still! ha...gotta luv pictures. I love the Wasatch Mountains in the background.


About three years ago when I was visiting SLC, we decided as siblings (Rebecca, Teresa, Robert and me) to take our kids and visit our childhood home in Springville. We explored Springville as adults but re-enacted our childhood walking from our old house on 2nd south, to Westside Elementary (crossing 4th south cross walk), I almost expected Mrs. Bowles, our crosswalk lady to still be there! (she wasn't DARN!).
We walked to the school let the kiddies play on the playground, then we strolled down Springville Main Street and watched the small town improvements take shape. Our old church was gone and most of the old buildings were replaced with updated facades. BUT it still had that old small town feel to it.

We even stopped in to S.O.S. drug and had a soda from their still functioning soda fountain bar. What a treat!
We then walked to the library and let the kids play on the playground.
It was a great day to re-connect as siblings in the hometown of our childhood, but also to let our own children see the sights and sounds of the small town we grew up in.
If we forget our past, our future does not know how far we've come or how far we've moved ahead. We need to have something to look back to in order for us to move ahead.

I've had a very blessed life, even in the turmoil of my parents divorce and being shifted from one house hold to another. Every place I lived as a child, from Springville to Ely, Nevada, to SLC and into my grown up/adult life, each place has played an important role of growing and moving ahead. Looking back helps us know who we are today! I love my life! I am so blessed and I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunities to look back, but yet move ahead!
Thanks for sharing in this journey this week!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Glad your journey brought you into my life!

A small glimpse at our world said...

Thanks Nae, you are great! I feel so blessed to have been part of Granger Mads. Truly feel blessed!

Mary said...

Cindy-that is so cool. I have to have my kids look at this and hopefully evoke a spark for them to do the same. You are such a great person in spite of your turmoiled childhood. I love you and I love Kevin. He indeed seems to be the love of your life.
Aunt Mary Jane

shuggy said...

that is so neat!! you should have taken pictures of your old house!! i remember that walk...to westside...very well. i miss the little library!!